Dive in the mind of the people that brought you quality packages like
and learn how to program, test, and maintain your very own packages.
4 hours of content
What you'll learn:
Building a framework agnostic PHP packageBasic structure, testing, GitHub actions, Packagist, …
Building a Laravel packageBuild a real Laravel package from scratch
Source dive Spatie packagesGet a tour of real life examples
For all functionality that is added to a package, you'll learn how to automatically test it, both locally and via GitHub Actions. This way you can build a beautiful and maintainable package that your co-workers, clients, and the community can rely on.
All videos are available in our online course environment, where you can track your progress.
Building a framework agnostic PHP package
- Using the Spatie PHP package skeleton to get started building an agnostic package
- Adding a first class to the package
- Testing a package using PHPUnit
- Automatically fix code style issues locally
- Running the tests on GitHub actions
- Fixing code style issues using GitHub Actions
- Using Psalm to analyse and detect problems with your code
- Generating code coverage reports using Xdebug
- Supporting multiple PHP versions
- Using semantic versioning
- Keeping a changelog
- Registering the package on Packagist
- Publishing a new release on GitHub
- Taking care of community contributions
Building a Laravel package
- Using the Spatie Laravel package skeleton to get started building a Laravel specific package
- Adding a config file to the package
- Adding an artisan command
- Adding models and migrations to the package and how to automatically test them
- Adding routes, controllers and views in a way that they don't conflict with application routes
- Running the tests of the Laravel package on GitHub Actions
- Using MySQL in the package tests and on GitHub Actions
- Testing artisan commands using PHPUnit and Orchestra Testbench
- Testing routes, controllers and views
- Supporting multiple PHP and Laravel versions of your package
- Developing a Laravel package inside a full Laravel application
- A whopping 90 minute live coding video where we bring together the knowledge of the entire course to build a real life package from scratch. Watch Freek code and explain his thought process.
Source diving Spatie packages
… If you're looking to sharpen up on your Laravel package skills, you're not going to find a better resource than this. 👌
… I had to reverse-engineer more than 10 of Spatie’s packages to understand how to deliver such a high quality product. It took me over 100 hours to learn. Now you can master this from the industry’s leading experts in only 4 hours! It’s a steal.
… Even if you have no plans to build packages, this is a HUGE learning resource. Highly recommend.
Purchased and started this yesterday… learnt something new in the first 15 minutes. Can't wait to carry on! Worth every penny…
Can’t get much more real, @freekmurze and @spatie_be really are the whole package!
Sold! Time to learn from the masters.
This one is a no brainer! Just purchased! You should too! …
From the Package Masters themselves this will be good.
Freek knows how to create packages better than anyone I ever know. I highly recommend this video course. 🔥
Check out this new course by my buddy @freekmurze. Can definitely say an expert on package development 🤓🤙
Not learning how to create Laravel packages with @spatie_be, it's like having a movie where Luke Skywalker went to learn the Jedi skills with the Jawa tribe, instead of Yoda 🌱
ANYTHING from @freekmurze & @spatie_be is awesome anyway
Why create packages?
By moving common functionalities to packages, the codebase of your apps can become smaller and more maintainable.
Packages can have their own testsuite. When a bug is discovered, you can easily distribute the fix in your apps by merely running
There are commercial benefits as well. By open sourcing packages, you as a developer, and your company become much more visible in the community, which can lead to interesting opportunities coming your way.